Near West Theatre
Assistant Technical Director
The Assistant Technical Director is responsible for providing primary support to the Technical Director, including assistance in the construction of all scenic elements and in the leading and training volunteers in set construction.
- Responsible for construction of scenic elements for productions
- Responsible for maintenance of scenic shop, maintenance of tools and overall cleanliness of scenic shop
- Assists the Technical Director in day to day responsibilities
- Assists the Technical Director in management of all crews working on scenery
- Assists the Technical Director in leading and training teens and adults in the Summer Technical Theater Workshop as well as volunteers of all ages in Technical Theater Work Sessions and at Community Work Days
- Assists the Technical Director in the implementation of the annual benefit event
- Attends all technical rehearsals as need by Technical Director
- Attends all production meetings and scenic design meetings as needed
Reports to Technical Director
None at this time.
- Strong knowledge of carpentry (rough and finish)
- Working knowledge of rigging, welding, blueprint reading, foam carving, painting, audio visual, and theatre lighting
- Assists scenic paint department in basic painting as allowed by each show’s build schedule
- Intermediate skill with Vectorworks or AutoCad
- Working knowledge of basic shop tools and their maintenance
- Able to perform simple electrical wiring
- Proficiency with Vectorworks or AutoCad
- Intermediate skill in teaching technical skills to youth and/or adults
- Experience with pneumatics
- Experience as a theatrical electrician
- Working understanding of nonprofit organizations or community theaters.
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, exempt
EDUCATION: Associates degree in carpentry or other related trade skills. Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree with an emphasis in Technical Theatre, or equivalent professional experience preferred.
EXPERIENCE: 2+ years of technical theater production experience highly preferred; 2+ years of finish carpentry experience required. Capable of driving 24’ box truck.
PHYSICAL: Must be able to regularly stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, and talk and hear. Must be able to stoop, squat, or kneel, and reach above the head. Must be able to lift 40-50 lbs. Must be able to climb 40’ ladder to access catwalk system if needed. Must be comfortable with heights of 40’ on a catwalk system and a single person lift.
WORK SCHEDULE: 9:00a to 5:00p (M-F), includes occasional evenings and weekends as needed
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted through Friday, September 14th, 2018.