Read our latest detailed updates here:
Gordon Square Arts District Overview
· The Gordon Square Arts District is a collaboration of three non-profits (Near West Theatre, Cleveland Public Theatre, and Detroit Shoreway Community Development Organization) in a single capital campaign to raise $30 million to revitalize the Detroit Shoreway neighborhood using the arts as an economic catalyst. Visit the Gordon Square Arts District website here.
· The Honorary Chairs of the campaign are Tom Sullivan, Albert Ratner and Dick Pogue. The Gordon Square Arts District LLC has a board of 18 members who govern and are engaged in fundraising for GSAD.
· Dick Pogue and David Doll are Co-Chairs of the GSAD Board. Joy Roller is Executive Director of the Gordon Square Arts District.
· Phase 1 of the Campaign is complete, totaling $20,600,000. Near West Theatre’s portion of that phase included site acquisition and construction drawings. Other highlights include completion of the Detroit Avenue streetscape, Capitol Movie Theatre renovation, and a portion of CPT’s renovation. Off-street parking has been doubled and more than 60 new businesses have been attracted since 2006.
· Phase 2 of the Campaign has begun: According to a Mutual Reliance Agreement that has guided the campaign since its start (and as revised in 2011), unrestricted gifts to the Gordon Square Arts District Campaign are split 50/50 between CPT and NWT. As has been the case since the start of the campaign, restricted gifts can be made at any time by anyone to the project of their choice. The campaign has been extended to run through the end of 2014.